Where are Jeeps Made?

As a renowned “rugged looking” car, Jeeps are made for driving in challenging conditions like unpaved roads or across the sand. Many countries also use Jeeps as their military vehicles. Since Jeeps can be found in so many countries, you won’t be wrong to wonder, where are Jeeps made?

The majority of Jeeps are manufactured in America. About 70% of a Jeep’s parts are made in the US. The remaining 30% of components, including transmission and powertrain, are made in 37 international facilities. However, the Jeep Compass, Renegade, and Wrangler are exceptions and are produced 100% in America and Italy.

This article will dive into where Jeeps are manufactured, how many are made annually, and more.

Let’s get started.

jeep badge on a jeep grand cherokee

Where are Jeep Cars Manufactured?

Jeep is an American brand and a division of FCA US LLC, previously known as Chrysler Group, LLC. FCA US LLC is owned by the famous Italian-American corporation and parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, one of the world’s biggest automakers. 

Jeep vehicles are primarily made in America, but FCA US has 37 Jeep manufacturing facilities in several countries. There is one facility in Venezuela, six in Canada, seven in Mexico, and the remaining 23 are located throughout the USA. 

While most Jeep models are assembled in the USA, many other components, including powertrain components and transmissions, are manufactured in international facilities. 

The current line-up of the Jeep brand consists of Cherokee, Wrangler, Renegade, Grand Cherokee, Compass, and Gladiator

Let’s go over them individually and find out where they are manufactured.

Jeep Wrangler

The popular Jeep Wrangler, both the 2-door and 4-door unlimited models, was made at the renowned plant in Toledo, Ohio. This plant is a connection of two other plants, known as the Stickney Plant and the Parkway Annex. The Toledo Plant also produces Cherokees.

It’s the place where the first Jeep was made. The Wranglers are in such high demand that the factory barely keeps up with the orders and often stays open working for 24 hours. 

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Detroit, Michigan, is another place that manufactures multiple Jeep models, including Grand Cherokees. 

The Jeep plant in Michigan is known as the Jefferson North Assembly Plant and produces big names, such as the Grand Cherokee and the SRT Grand Cherokees.

Jeep Compass

The Jeep Compass is assembled at plants in Mexico, Brazil, Italy, China, and India. European and North American models are manufactured in Melfi, Italy, and Toluca, Mexico, which are moved from a US Jeep plant in Belvidere, Illinois. 

Jeep Renegade

Unlike most Jeep models, the Renegade is not made in the States. This vehicle is built in an assembly plant in Melfi, Italy, then shipped to us on container ships. 

So, if you own a Renegade, It would be fair to say that you own an Italian “sports” car.

Jeep Gladiator 

Jeep Gladiators are made in Toledo, Ohio. Toledo manufacturing plant has been building Jeeps since 1941 and is the only place that manufactures Gladiators, even for the international market. 

Fun Fact: Since Toledo is the only place manufacturing Gladiators, the area code of Toledo, 419, is also stamped into the Gladiator’s bed.

Other Jeep Manufacturers

Jeeps are also being produced internationally by other companies, many of which do not use the Jeep name.

There are however Jeep plants established in China, India, and Brazil that do use the Jeep name on their vehicles and parts. 

FCA strategically placed these plants to leverage the international sales of Jeep in these regions. 

An Insight into Jeep Factories

In 2019, FCA allowed several media teams to see how Jeeps are made in the factory. The company builds its Jeeps at Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio. The reporters observed that over 5,600 people work at a Jeep factory to build 50 Jeeps an hour and work in two shifts. 

In 2014, Chrysler hired 1000 part-timers in Toledo Assembly Complex. It was because of the increasing demand for Wranglers and Cherokees, due to which employees had to work 60 hours a week. Now, you can see that it takes an army of employees to manufacture and assemble a Jeep. 

While we know how much manpower goes into production, there is no exact answer to how many Jeeps are made yearly. Different models are made in different quantities, which fluctuate with time and the interests of consumers. 

However, in 2016, Fiat Chrysler announced that the company would be able to produce more than 450,000 Jeep Wranglers and Wrangler pickups annually by 2018 at a single plant. 

Many other media outlets also reported that the FCA aims to build about 350,000 Wranglers annually, to boost overseas sales of the rugged SUV.

jeep wrangler on top of a mountain

Final Thoughts On Where Jeeps Are Made

Although 70% of Jeeps are manufactured in the US, the remaining 30% are made in the 37 manufacturing plants of Jeeps located in different counties, including Italy, China, India, and Brazil.

Over time, consumers will demand more energy-efficient Jeep models, pushing FCA to experiment with different locations for the Jeep manufacturing plants.


Were Jeeps Originally Made in America?

Jeeps have always been associated with America, probably because the first-ever Jeep was made in the U.S. and used in World War II. Even now, most of these vehicles are assembled in the Midwest. However, with the increasing demand for Jeeps from different parts of the world, FCA is building Jeep manufacturing plants in other plants of the world. 

Which Is The Fastest Jeep Ever Made?

The 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is the fastest Jeep ever made, producing 707 HP and 645 lb-ft of torque.

Where Is The 2022 Grand Cherokee Made? 

The Grand Cherokee L is assembled at the new Mack Avenue Assembly Complex in Michigan, USA.

Photo of author
Article by


Leave a Comment